Learning to Moodle

Do you Moodle? If so, where and how? Do you use Moodle in blended or fully online format?

If you don't Moodle, why not?

• Zahra Shafiee

By Zahra Shafiee

I have just started to Moodle. I am new in it and what has helped me a lot was the course Moodle for Teachers M4TEVO18 (I participated in 2017 too, but I couldn't complete it due to my schedule). I am opening a fully virtual course on my university Moodle. 

I use Moodle as it is available to me. Also it is convenient for both teachers and learners. In addition, since it is a widely used platform, there are a lot of information online about it that I can solve my problems by searching, and using the users' comments and the experts advice.

• Dr. Nellie Deutsch

By Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Are you satisfied with the university Moodle? How are your students responding to the platform?

• Zahra Shafiee

By Zahra Shafiee

My  university Moodle is satisfactory for both students and instructors, but it is for formal curricular virtual courses, and for research use, we have to do some paper work to be permitted to use its facilities. They have recently installed a Moodle for research purposes, but it is not completely depended to the main site, thus, has not receive the sufficient IT support that the main LMS receives. It is new and needs some tools and plugins to be added, and I need to learn a lot more.

For example, for synchronous sessions, I have not yet managed to add a tool to the Moodle. University does not support WizIq and we need to use the free trial out of platform by sending invitations via email. Now I am doing some paper work to use Adobe Connect form the main site of university available for curricular virtual courses. Hope I succeed!

Of other glitches I face, as compared with your Moodle, I can mention very simple examples: 

- In M4tEVO18, the great editor for comments has much more options. Here I have not found font types and colors; I only see paragraphing style. Beautifying the comments is motivating for students and I want it. Maybe I should ask them to install something.  

- Also I have not been able to activate buttons for links of weeks. It was very beautiful on EVO courses. My weeks can be just hidden, inactivated, or visible on the main page of the course. I should activate each week that we approach. I have not figured it out yet. 

- My students at the beginning of piloting the LMS did not have permission to comment on the forum. Then I searched and understood that I should adjust the grouping format of forums with the site. I think I need to search much more to solve other glitches, too.

• Dr. Nellie Deutsch

By Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Most schools and universities restrict teachers. I developed my own Moodle sites because I refused to be restricted. I now have a huge server where I can install  Moodle, Mahara, Wordpress, Mediawiki, Elgg, and other educational programs the teachers' domains. l have been hosting and supporting teachers and small organizations who wish to have their own Moodle sites since 2006.

You may wish to take advantage of the advanced level available in Moodle MOOC 12. Graduates of Moodle MOOC (MM1-MM11) or M4TEVO11-18 will be able to take the advanced level in the months of May and November. 

• Zahra Shafiee

By Zahra Shafiee

Thanks a lot for providing such wonderful opportunity. I think your courses should not be missed. In addition to learning how to work with the system, I can put myself in my students' shoes and feel their condition. Also I learn from your management of the courses, something like the apprenticeship of observation. These course are really great chances. Thanks.